The KwaZulu-Natal government this weekend launched its latest roll-out of lightning rods campaign, aimed at disaster stricken communities.
This is in response to a string of lightning strikes which have destroyed property and even claimed lives across KwaZulu-Natal in recent weeks, co-operative governance and traditional affairs (Cogta) MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube said in a statement on Sunday after visiting the community of Ndlangubo in the area of Bingoma, under the Mhlathuze local municipality where the roll-out programme was launched.
The roll-out of lightning conductors was crucial for the protection of rural communities which had borne the brunt of the extreme weather across the province.
“December and January has traditionally proved to be the most deadly time of year when it comes to lightning strikes. Last year we witnessed the death of more than 20 people as a result of lightning strikes and so far this year we have lost close to 25 people, with five people being killed in less than a month,” said Dube-Ncube.
The roll-out of the lightning rods was specifically targeted at rural communities and the department had partnered with municipalities in ensuring that public spaces such as community halls, clinics, and schools had lightning rods installed, especially in high-risk areas.
The roll-out included a massive awareness campaign that also encouraged communities to buy the lightning rods at their local hardware supplies for their own homes.
“As a department, we have limited resources to install these conductors in every community and we can only focus on high-risk areas and thus we have called upon communities to partner together and buy these devices which offer protection to surrounding houses within a 100m radius,” Dube-Ncube said.
Source : IOL